I was meant for you Pt. 1

Saturday marks my 6th year of marriage to an amazing man. 6 years ago I had no Idea what was in store for me.

I first met Sean when I was about 15 or 16 and he was about 20 or 21. We were both camp councilors at a kids camp at my church. I thought he was a cool and funny guy, but not as cool and funny as his best friend Kevin. That year (I believe) was when Worship Generation started at my church and even though it was meant for college kids, the high schoolers enjoyed going also. Who wouldnt enjoy going to hear amazing music, with less supervision than high school ministry and hearing a nerdy music geek teach us how to find God in our everyday lives (yes even secular music and disney movies!! GASP!!!)

Sean was the guy who did the announcements. He would always add a little personal story or something funny to it. One time he did an announcement from the toilet...we loved it. As always with a large group of people there were some people who didnt quite fit in. This was a nice group of people however there were still some weird people who just didnt quite fit in. I remember once watching Sean ( who was definitely in the "cool" crowd) purposefully go and talk to these people. Not just talk to them, but enjoy them. I admired him so much then. My 16 year old mind was to worried at that point about my reputation to bother to talk to people like that. Sean had no idea but he changed my life that day.

Over the years I watched him from afar, always admiring his funny and cool disposition. There was never any romantic interest. I just thought he was an awesome guy who was super old. We once danced together at a 70's themed party, well not like slow danced but just danced. He was wearing a powder blue 70's style suit and was absolutely adorable in it. When I was 17 I was getting ready to go to bible college and he was getting ready to spend a semester abroad in spain. We exchanged email addresses but never wrote each other.

While he was in spain having his life changing experiences (and a foriegn love interest) I was in bible college growing in ways I never thought I would. I made some of my best friends there who still have such an impact on my life. Johanna, my lifeline...the one who I can always count on...always, the one who I know prays for my marriage and me and the one who I have countless hours of silent laughter with. Laura, random and funny...pray warrior and soon to be mommy. Amy-who I never talk to, but will always feel a strong bond in my heart to her. Heather-not really a new friend :) just an amazing forever friend. When I went home on break I heard some things about Sean Brown, mainly that he was going to germany. I briefly wondered if I would ever see him again. Then moved on with the rest of my life. I was getting ready for my adventure to Peru.

In Peru I met my first love. He didnt speak very much english, I didnt speak very much spanish, but it didnt matter. We were in love. Of course my parents were freaking out. I dont really blame them, although their words cut deep and their dissaproval hurt, I understand where they were coming from. My relationship with him was one of the most godly relationships I have ever had. And when it ended I knew that God had ordained it for a reason. I have zero regrets about it and wouldnt have changed a thing.

While in peru, my mom called me one day from church hoping that I would be able to talk to some of my friends on the phone. The only one who was available was Sean. We had a brief conversation and then my mom was on the phone. I made a random comment that I always thought Sean was hot. But I was in love so it didnt matter :)

When I came home from bible college my sister and I moved into an apartment together that happened to be next door to sean. Thats when things heated up between Sean and I. We started hanging out all the time. We had so much fun together. One night Sean was alseep on my couch (Erika alseep on the other couch of course) and I was reading on floor, he surprised me by kissing me. Now I have only kissed 1 other person in my life so this was kinda a big deal for me.
Our dating time was really weird. We were impulsive, instead of taking things slow and prayerfully we jumped into a relationship and made out way to much. It really put distance between me and God and after 3 months we broke up. It was heart breaking partly because we had been so physical with each other and partly because I felt like now I would loose my best friend...

To be continued...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parenting

Turning over a new leaf

Something that makes me mad.