Turning over a new leaf

So, when I got a gym membership about 10 months ago I agreed with my husband that I should be working out about 3 times a week to make my gym membership financially worth it. I was doing really good until about 2 months ago. I think that finals, along with getting a new job, new schedule, and my own laziness has really got in the way. Lately I have been lucky if I make it to the gym 2 times a week...

The interesting thing is that I am finally at a place in my life where I am comfortable in my own skin. I have learned to finally embrace the way God made me and realize that no matter what my outer appearance looks like the true beauty comes from a heart after God.

I have comes to terms with what a real woman looks like. Not the woman on the cover of Cosmo, not the woman in any victoria secret catalogue. Those women are beautiful...but they are fake. They have no ounce of cellulite, they NEVER have stretch marks, their skin is perfectly smooth. A real woman, no matter how physically fit they are will have cellulite and wrinkles if they have spent any amount of time in the sun. In fact, those models probably do have some sort of cellulite or stretch marks but they are air brushed out. Some people get stretch marks just from growing! For the record...mine are not from growing...hahaha...
Anways, fake women have become unattractive to me...and I have really started to see the beauty in real women. I feel bad for the models who are told that their "flaws" need to be airbrushed out. They must have such a poor body image.

Anyways...my reasons for working out have shifted. Yeah, working out makes my body look better and makes me feel better about myself, but the real reason why I do it is so I can be a healthy old lady. The happy and healthy older ladies that I work with all are in shape and still as active as they can be. They probably didnt go to gyms, the lifestyle in the 30s and 40s was different. The women that I am talking about cook balanced meals, they walk as much as they can, and they are happy.

So...I am turning over a new leaf. I will start going to the gym at least 3 (hopefully 4 or 5) days a week. But not only do I need to be working out my body, but my spirit needs exercise and feeding also. I need to nurture my relationship with God and honor him in all that I do. I am so grateful for the time God has granted me on this earth and I want to honor him with not only my heart and mind but with my body also.

Comments

  1. Wow...thanks Pina. Such a good reminder for me. I should print this out and post it where I can read it weekly to be reminded over and over...I seem to need that. Love you!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got stretch marks just from growing. Around my hips and even under my arms. And that was before I ever added fat to the equation. I always thought it was unfair. I had "fat guy" marks before I ever got fat. Hehe. (Thankfully I way 50 lbs less than I did in 2003, though I still have about 20 I want rid of.)

    Good blog, P! The higher motivation is always the greater goal in life. It applies to so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when I said "way," I meant "weigh," of course.

    I have the dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, dont feel bad. Sean has stretch and he has never had an ounce of extra fat on his body ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are beautiful Pina, inside and out :-) Have fun at the gym though, keep that heart healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...and my own laziness..." - I can vouch for that!!

    Heigh, I had some baby fat! Though, I don't think that's when I got stretch marks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got stretch marks on my lower when I was 12 years old just from growing. My cousin pointed it out to me and told me that only pregnant women get them. Haha, I was insecure for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parenting

Something that makes me mad.